Monday, May 17, 2010

I think I have finished the silk vest. I find myself strangely detached from it. Why? It was literally painful to knit. Handling the yarn was hard on the hands. The cool thing about it was the construction. I've been working with steeks for- EVER and they still push that button.


 It's magic I tell you. What at first appears to be some convoluted dog sweater turns into shaped necklines and armholes for actual people.

I still need to fuss with finishing and weaving ends and POSSIBLY undoing the bottom and extending the length and binding off in a stretchier fashion but for now it's sitting on the back of the couch in a most undignified manner. Unloved because of a painful relationship.
Meanwhile....



because the leftover yarn scrap bag doesn't seem to be going down and they were such a joy to knit I'm throwing together another Scrap Sweater 'cept this time I'm v-necking the front just to shake things up. I know, I do live on the wild side.

Have you evah done marathon Dickens weekends? I'm in the midst of a run and concentrating on the not-so-popular video versions of his works. If he wrote what he Knew as all writers are told, the dude was either one sadistic bastard or was in acquaintance with many. Maybe it was just one he plopped into every story. Kinda like Dan Brown with the over the top religious freak he has in several of his stories.  But I digress. Most versions I have been watching are from the BBC but occasionally A&E gets in there. My favorite thing is to spot the same actor in different productions. I sit and think, I know that voice, who did they play and in what? For example, Alun Armstrong (spelling is correct) played Flintwinch in the 2008 BBC  production of Little Dorrit. Back in 1982 he played, well, several parts in A&E's showing of "The Life And Times Of Nicholas Nickelby" including Mr. Squeers. Twenty-six years and what looks to be 50 pounds between the two but I knew him right off. Lila Kaye (Mrs. Squeers & others) was the voice I knew but couldn't place. A quick Google check put it right--character actor including Murder She Wrote episode. I still miss that show.
Well, with Martin Chuzzlewit watched and Nicholas Nickelby halfway through I'll have to order the next two from the library. I seem to be drinking much more tea than usual and I'm assuming that is a result of spending(too) so much time in British mode.



"Call me Garden Cat if  you please. Momma has gone to calling me Sir Shedsalot. It's NOT appreciated. I must overlook her crude and boorish behaviour."

No comments: