Thursday, January 22, 2009

Gloves & Chinese Knots

I jumped on the I-cord finger gloves method and gave it a resounding...hmmm. Here they are in process.

They made up very quick and the I-Cord finger manufacture was painless but....
I'm not happy with the grafting part of the project. I'll be searching for an alternative method before attempting again.And yes, they fit like a glove, thank you for asking.

As for the Chinese Knots section of the title, I decided to try something different than buttons and buttonholes. After attaching my button bands I knit up lengths of I-Cord and fashioned them into buttons and closures. I wish I could tell you exactly where I got the idea but I don't want to give credit to the wrong source suffice to say it was an email from a knitting source with a link to creating said fasteners from a recently published book. If I find it I'll post an addendum with the info. Here is the w.i.p.

I used the leftover yarn to create the gloves: Auracania from the back room at Webs. Stitch pattern is double broken rib. You're seeing it in its unblocked state and I have to tell you, it won't look much different blocked. If you wander back to last summer's posts I fashioned a grey and white pullover with same stitch pattern. Yup, it's a favorite. We have a running joke in my family about flamingos and my dislike for the plastic lawn ornaments and such. Given my family and friend's sick sense of humor I get alot of flamingo stuff. When purchasing the yarn the first thing that came to mind that the colorway is very flamingo-ey to me. Pink, coral and yellow. Check out a flamingo...you'll see.

Are you asking about the buttons for the Gryffindor sweater? The ones lost? Oh, yes, they're still lost but it hasn't stopped me from wearing the cardi in the house, complete with stitch markers (the ones that look like little locks) marking where the buttons SHOULD BE. It kills me! I bought the perfect buttons for it and bought out the supply. They're in the house somewhere I just know it.

And now for something unusual: me getting emotional over an inauguration. That was a first.

No comments: