Monday, February 09, 2009

Inspiration

Years ago, our ancestors knit garments that told the observer something. Irish knits and their knobs, baubles and cables relayed information about family, social status, where they lived...you get the picture. We've lost the art due lack of needing it. For about a year I've been tossing the process around in my head. I've sketched out combinations of stitch patterns representing areas of Franklin County I'm familiar with. With the purchase of Valley Yarns "Northfield" I have adapted a simple pattern that represents part of the actual Norhtfield.
Northfield is a agricultural town situated on both sides of the Connecticut River. Corn, potatoes, hops are a few of their harvests. With the VY "Northfield" I made the pattern simple with a representation of planted rows using a 6 x 2 ribbing. "Like a Poor Boy sweater?" you may ask. Yes. Just like that. So no one will know or give a hoot but me. I thought of tinkering and throwing in the river but this yarn is soft and snuggly I stuck with the plain rib.
As we're having a bit of a thaw, cotton knits designs are roaming around in my head along with other useless knowledge that keeps me in Trivial Pursuit shape. I picked up this screaming green after I had told myself, "self, you need more neutrals so stop buying fashion colors." I don't listen to myself.

"She doesn't listen to me either. Hopeless."

No comments: